Search This Blog

Wednesday 4 May 2016

Configuring music library on Sonos

This was working for me after a fashion, but I realised it needed rejigging when I kept getting messages saying the file could not be found.

My music is stored on a networked Ubuntu PC, and on my Mac. I had previously set mappings up such that the links to the networked PC were via mounted drives on the Mac. The downside, of course, to this is that if the Mac was turned off, then the music could not be accessed.

I'm aware that it's necessary to set the relevant sharing options on the Ubuntu PC, so I did that first in file manager:


But it's also necessary to amend the Samba setup:


However, when adding within Sonos I still couldn't get guest access to work. I finally gave up and just resorted to completing the Ubuntu sign on name and password.

Then it was necessary to add the iTunes library on my Mac. I chose the "In my Music folder" option (grayed out here as I've already added it).

But then got the message that the computer could not be found. Odd, as it was on this very computer that I was carrying out the operation!

Turns out there are a couple of tweaks to be aware of. Firstly, in System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Firewall Options it's necessary to uncheck "Enable stealth mode" and also to ensure that Sonos was set up to allow incoming connections (the latter was already correct):

But there's something else. And this is the most important one! In System Preferences > Sharing, the computer name has to be no more than 15 characters and have no special characters or spaces

Once done, the library worked fine!