Search This Blog

Thursday 11 January 2007

Films 1 - À la folie... pas du tout

So, you've (if you've clicked on it) seen a big list of my favourite films. Big deal. So what. Lists are reasonably informative as they can give some common points of reference, but it's also quite handy to know WHY some of the things on the list are there. So, "review" would be too high-falutin' a term, but I'll give my take on them. And I may as well do so in alphabetical order.

This makes À la folie... pas du tout the first entry. My French isn't great, but even I know that the name this film was released under in the UK - "He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not" is not by any means a literal translation of the original. Oh well.

The main motivation for watching this film (reviews aside) is that it stars the brilliant Audrey Tautou (Note: I've not seen The Da Vinci Code, so have no reason to think otherwise), who was so good in one of my top 10 films ever - Amélie. Main male lead is Samuel Le Bihan, who was very good in Brotherhood of the Wolf.

Anyway, it's set in Bordeaux, and tells a love story from two angles. And it's only when you see the two angles put together that you see the full picture. Has a nice twist in the end as well. Which if I say much more I'll give away, so I won't.